Thursday, August 19, 2010

How To Build A Barn

Well, this little barn is destined to be a baby shower invitation.  I am sure that someone has posted some sort of tutorial on this type of card somewhere, but I couldn't find it!

I had to resort to building it myself.  I fiddled and fiddled and here is what I came up with.  It's a modified version of a gatefold card.  You can find the tutorial here on SCS.  I left my card 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".  I sliced the barn doors in a 3 1/8" and then punched out the loft window/door with a square punch!

I colored my barn with a woodgrain technique in Ruby Red, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip and Very Vanilla.   I added the boards with a brown sharpie and then edged my doors with Chocolate Chip ink.  I backed my loft window with Creamy Caramel and then punch the frame with a couple of square punches.  Finally, I trimmed the roof with a thinner strip of Chocolate Chip paper. 

My animals were embossed on white with black or on vanilla with Cajun Craze, a new SU color!  I found it perfect for my hen!!  Here I embossed my sentiment in Vanilla, but on future cards I plan to emboss it in Early Espresso. 

Here is a glimpse with the barn doors open.  I just stamped a place for the shower particulars to go.  I will leave that to one of my girlfriends with nice handwriting. 

Okay, now only 14 more to assemble!  Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

Details - Stamps: Simply Home (Ippity), Hugs & Wishes; Paper: Ruby Red, Whisper White, Very Vanilla, Creamy Caramel, Chocolate Chip; Ink: Ruby Red, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla Craft, Versamark, Early Espresso, Cajun Craze; Accessories: black ep, clear ep, heat tool, scor-pal, 1 3/8" square punch, 1 1 /4" square punch, , two way glue pen, SAMJ, brown sharpie, paper snips.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

What a cool invitation. Great colours and distessing detail too.